This post will help install latest version of Joomla on your Desktop and Laptop using Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10. There are few software requirements for installing Joomla locally. You need to have PHP 7.x, MySQL or MariaDB, and Web Server like Apache or NGINX.
Before We Install Joomla on Windows 10
In this post, I’ll be using XAMPP which installs and configures latest version of PHP, MariaDB, and Apache2 web server on Windows 7 and above and on Mac OS too. XAMPP is a cross platform apache, mariadb, php and perl package, which is also open source.
One more thing you get with XAMPP is phpmyadmin which is graphical user interface to manage SQL database.
With XAMPP, you can install Joomla, Joomla, Drupal, and other PHP powered CMSes out there.
Install PHP, MySQL, Apache (XAMPP) for Joomla
There are a few options when it comes to installing php, MySQL, and Apache, the simplest one is XAMPP, which open source and also cross platform. XAMPP comes with control panel that makes managing services easy from one centralized window.
How to Install Joomla 3..7.5 on Windows 10 locally using XAMPP server. How to create a database with PHPMyAdmin.
If you come across any issue while downloading and installing XAMPP on Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, please watch this quick video tutorial.
Download & Install Latest Joomla
To download latest version of Joomla, click here. This link downloads latest version of Joomlafrom https://Joomla.org/latest.zip
- Download Latest Joomla from here
- Unzip the Joomla download
- Open htdocs folder from xampp folder in C drive
- Copy and Paste extracted Joomla into htdocs
- Rename the Joomla folder in htdocs
- Launch browser, go to http://localhost/phpmyadmin in browser tab
- Create a database for Joomla installation
- Open https://localhost/joom_folder_name in a new browser tag
- Click ‘Let’s go’
- Fill the database credentials (db name, root, and no password)
- Create your admin profile
- Click Install
- Login to admin area/dashboard at localhost/joom_folder_name/admin
- Enter your admin username and password, and click LOGIN
Install Joomla with XAMPP on Windows
If you need step by step walkthrough to install xampp, please watch video above. This video will show you how to install Joomla on Windows 10.
Install Joomla on localhost
To install Joomla on localhost, you must have a webserver, PHP, and MySQL installed and running. This post is using XAMPP to install and configure PHP, MySQL, and Apache2 webserver.
Download and unzip latest version of Joomla and put unzipped Joomla under xampp/htdocs/yourjoom
Create a database on localhost/phpmyadmin and user database name, username (root) and database password (“”) which is empty to install Joomla on your localhost.