This post will explain how to add custom meta tags to WordPress site wide.
There are two ways to add custom meta tags to WordPress sites, in this post I’ll share two ways to add meta tags like keywords, Google Adsense, Google search console, Google Analytics, Yandex Metrica, and other social media meta tags.
Without a Plugin
If you don’t want to use WordPress plugin to add and manage custom meta tags to WordPress then you can add custom meta tags to your WordPress header.php file, which every WordPress theme. But while switching WordPress theme; you will have add custom meta tag to the new WordPress theme header.php file, which might be comfortable for many people and a lot of people just forget to copy and paste meta tags from one to another theme and its not very practical too this is why using a WordPress plugin to add and manage custom meta tags would be more practical and pragmatic too.
- Login to your WordPress dashboard/admin area
- From Appearance > Theme Editor
- Look for header.php
- Paste your custom meta tag between <head> </head> section.
- Save the header.php file.
With a WordPress Plugin
Add custom meta tags to WordPress sites with plugins is easy and site admin would not have to copy and paste meta tags from one to another theme while changing themes.
- Login to WordPress dashboard/admin area
- From Plugins > Add Plugin
- Look for Head & Footer Code Manager
- Install and activate Head & Footer Code Manager plugin
- Add a new meta code
- Name it and select the location head or footer
- Paste your custom meta tags
- Select the display status
- Save the code.